Andrew Tate: Romanian police announce new raids while searching seven houses

Andrew Tate: Romanian police announce new raids while searching seven houses

Andrew Tate: Romanian police announce new raids while searching seven houses

Romanian authorities have announced new raids in the investigation against Andrew Tate, while seven houses were searched.

DIICOT, the prosecutors overseeing the case, said seven houses were searched Thursday morning in Bucharest, Ilfov and Prahova counties.

It comes after Andrew Tate and his brother Tristan lost an appeal this week against a judge’s decision to extend his detention period from 24 hours to 30 days on charges of belonging to an organized crime group, human trafficking and rape.

Andrew Tate leaves court after losing appeal this week

(Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

Ramona Bolla, a spokeswoman for Romania’s anti-organized crime agency DIICOT, said a Bucharest appeals court on Tuesday rejected an appeal by Tate, his co-defendant brother Tristan and two Romanian women arrested in the same police operation.

In a statement issued on Thursday morning, DIICOT said: “This morning, the prosecutors of DIICOT – Central Structure, as part of the continuation of the investigation into the crimes of forming an organized crime group, human trafficking and rape, are implementing seven house search warrants within the radius of Bucharest Municipality and counties Ilfov and Prahova.

“The court proceedings are conducted jointly with police officers from BCCO Bucharest and SCCO Ilfov.

Andrew Tate, middle, and his brother Tristan walk out after appearing before the Court of Appeals in Bucharest, Romania

(Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

“We make it clear that throughout the criminal trial, persons under investigation enjoy the procedural rights and guarantees provided by the Code of Criminal Procedure, as well as the principle of the presumption of innocence.”

The four suspects in the case denied wrongdoing and their lawyers said there was no evidence against them – although authorities said they made the arrests based on the accounts of the six women.

Ioan Gliga, one of the defense lawyers, said: “The arguments of the prosecutors were that they had evidence. Of course, our arguments were that there was no evidence.”

A small group of supporters of Tate, a controversial 36-year-old social media influencer with more than 4.4 million Twitter followers, gathered outside the court for a hearing on Tuesday.

Tate was initially arrested on December 29 in an area north of Bucharest along with the other three suspects.

Eugen Vidineac, a Romanian defense attorney representing the defendants, said after Tuesday’s hearing that “all four defendants have made statements” and that “the claims of the lawyers have been fully heard.”

DIICOT said after making the arrests that it had identified six victims in the case who had been subjected to “acts of physical violence and mental coercion” by the group and were sexually abused by members of the group.

More follows…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *